AHLA Commissions Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility Staff Committee
- October 13, 2020
AHLA commissions a staff led committee on Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility (IDEA) to compliment the board led Membership, Diversity, and Inclusion (MDI) Committee.
The IDEA Committee will assist and advise AHLA in developing and maintaining a workplace and organizational culture that promotes inclusion by all parties, values and celebrates diversity in all forms, strives for equity across the Association in all areas, and ensures equitable access to everyone. Responsibilities of the IDEA Committee include, but are not limited to:
- Assist the Senior Team, AHLA Board of Directors, and MDI Committee in the creation of IDEA strategies and milestones in support of AHLA’s strategic plan, for both the association as an employer and as a membership-based organization
- Broadly build, share knowledge, and communicate IDEA resources, successes, and impacts
- Work with Human Resources to identify specific IDEA education content to be included in employee training and professional development
- Identify IDEA barriers that impact recruitment, retention, and advancement in employment, membership, and engagement
- Act as a change agent across the organization, challenge the status quo, and increase cultural competency
- Remain aware of the broader racial and social justice movement in the U.S. and create opportunities for thoughtful and uncomfortable discussion
“We have a long-standing commitment to diversity and inclusion at the board and membership level,” comments David S. Cade, Chief Executive Officer of AHLA. “We wanted to take our commitment a step further to ensure we foster a diverse and inclusive environment for our staff. Additionally, I wanted to create a formal mechanism for ideas to be shared freely between staff and our leaders to further our broader diversity and inclusion initiatives for the association.”
The IDEA Committee will be chaired by Stefan Bradham, AHLA’s Senior Director of Marketing and Communications and will meet monthly.