Governance & Leadership
AHLA has a wonderful tradition of members sharing their expertise and insight with each other. Members who give to each other through speaking, writing and other service to the organization are recognized and often asked to participate in one of the many leadership positions available. At last count, there are about 350 members who hold leadership positions in the Association and hundreds of others who serve AHLA in a variety of ways. All contribute to advancing our educational mission.
AHLA is governed by a Board of Directors consisting of 26 board members. The Board of Directors meets twice a year in person and several times virtually. Board members serve on the following Committees:
- Membership Diversity+Inclusion
- Practice Groups and Special Councils
An Executive Committee composed of 8 members meets 4-6 times a year in person and by phone.
AHLA’s 2019‐2022 Strategic Plan, adopted at the June 2018 Board meeting, provides a blueprint for how AHLA will continue to adapt to meet the needs of its more than 14,000 members as they navigate changes in the practice of law as well as changes in health law and the health industry.
Get involved in AHLA Leadership! Open positions are posted throughout the year on our volunteer page:
- Call for leaders for our Board, Nominating, and other Committees and Councils are usually posted beginning in November of each year, continuing into the spring.
- Practice Groups offer numerous opportunities, such as writing for newsletters, member briefings, or speaking opportunities for Distance Learning events.
- Learn more about the Practice Groups' Leadership Development Programs (LDP).
- Submit a proposal to speak at one of our in-person programs.
- Write a brief piece about a hot topic for the AHLA Weekly, AHLA Connections, or submit a proposal for a lengthy piece in the Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law.
We are pleased to announce a new resource designed to help AHLA leaders communicate more efficiently and lead more effectively–a Leadership Community. The Leadership Communities are online listserves to enable you to communicate directly and easily with other leaders in your leadership group. We have automatically enrolled leaders in their respective Leadership Communities. View a list of your communities.
Current AHLA Board of Directors
Please see a listing of our Board of Directors in our AHLA Leaders Directory.
Learn More About AHLA
We Need Your Help
With your donation, we can ensure the health law talent pipeline remains full, increase our professional development offering, and expand our diversity and inclusion efforts within the profession.